Merry Mabon to everyone. Mabon is one of the Pagan sabbats or holidays. It is the Fall Equinox and the opposite of the Spring Equinox. This year Mabon is on Monday, September 22nd, this is not the actual astrological day but we have to give it a calendar day so we can know when to celebrate it. Since I don't do astrology I have to go with what the calendar says. So what exactly is Mabon well let me explain.

Mabon (pronounced May-bun, May-boon, May-bone, or however you want to) like I said is the fall equinox it is also a Harvest Festival. Most Pagan holidays are in celebration of earth events. Pagans were farmers so they celebrated the planting and harvesting of their fields. They gave thanks to Mother Earth for her bounty and seeing them through the season. So with Autumn comes the harvesting of their food for winter.

Mabon also marks the time when the days and nights are equal in length. Just as they are in the Spring when we have Ostara or the Spring Equinox. With Mabon it also starts when the days become shorter and the nights become longer. Can you believe this happens naturally and has nothing to do with changing your clocks? Who knew!

For Wiccans this is the time when the Goddess changes from the Mother aspect into the Crone aspect. The Goddess has 3 aspects of a woman the Maiden (young girl), Mother (reproductive years) and Crone (older woman). These are all changes that a woman will go through in her life and with each aspect come wisdom and experience that is passed on to all. The Crone aspect represents wisdom, repose, death and ending. Not to be taken literally, for Pagans death and rebirth go hand in hand. So when the Crone dies she is reborn as the Maiden in Spring. There is a really huge explanation about the Goddess and God relationship but you can explore that on your own without me going into details about it.

So Mabon is Monday, it is a day to celebrate and eat. I am not sure what I will be doing but I am sure food is involved somehow. If I don't talk to you before then Merry Mabon everyone.