Saturday, August 30, 2008

This was my final day in Wyoming so Joshua decided to take me East of Powell to Lovell, Wyoming. Lovell is a nothing little town known for the Wild Horse Preserve they have. So we looked it up on the Internet and headed out on Saturday morning. This time we decided to take Tau and Kali with us since they spent the entire previous day alone. It was a great idea to us but no so much to them.
First off Joshua took me by the farm where he works and showed me the fields as we drove past. We then went to the Pryor Mountain Wild Mustang Center in Lovell and talked to a wonderful lady who told us all about the horses and their history, showed us pictures of them and told us about the new foals that were added to the herd. She gave us a map and some paperwork and sent us on our adventure.
The drive takes you through the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area. The area is very mountainous with a massive river running through the East edge. According to the center you should be able to see the horses anywhere in this area. We drove up into Montana until the road ended and never saw the horses. But there is about a zillion places for them to hide, we did see several Bighorn Sheep climbing up a hill when we stopped to take a picture Kali felt brave enough to bark at them to let them know she was in the area and was the Queen of Everything. The sheep did not look impressed, they looked more annoyed and just continued to climb.
We did stop at the suggested overlook and it was just breath taking, it was Wyoming's version of the Grand Canyon, only free. The river was amazing so we drove down to it just to look.
After this we took the kids back home and Joshua and I headed into Cody to buy some groceries for his birthday dinner. He will be 21 on September 11th so he invited his girlfriend over and we cooked chicken and steaks. It was really nice. On the drive into Cody, I kept seeing a sign for sweet corn. You could go into the fields and pick your own corn. This was a must on my list of things to do. I have never picked corn before so I really wanted to do this. So we stopped and it cost $3 for a dozen ears of corn, they gave us directions to the field and told us to have fun.
In case you have never experienced a corn field, it is weird. It is like going to get a Christmas tree you get lost in the rows of corn stalks. I did have to ask if there were any blond haired blue eyed spooky kids that were going to come out of the corn but Joshua assured me he had never heard of this happening. So off I went to pick my corn. I am not sure what I was expecting but it was dirty and the corn had bugs on it. I know this is not store corn that has been washed and cleaned and picked free of insects but gross. Either way, I got my 12 ears of corn and we headed into town.
We got our groceries cooked out dinner and Josh and his girlfriend hung out on the sofa while Tau and Kali and I walked into the center of town to see what was happening. There was nothing happening, everything except the bars and movie theatre were closed. Oh well, we headed back to take a bath and go to bed so I could make the long drive home the next day.
Up Next:
The Long Drive Home and What I Learned