Thursday, August 29, 2008

Thursday started out early I left Denver at 7am and started my drive North. I was not exactly aware of how long of a drive it was but it was long. I realized early on that the drive was going to be very boring, but luckily there was radio. Unfortunately all that was on the radio was country lots and lots of country music stations.

Tau and Kali were a little better on this leg of the journey, we stopped often for them to get out and walk. Kali had her backseat decked out with lots of pillows and blankets, Tau had his spot set up however, he was very restless on the trip up and I realized that he likes to be swaddled when he is nervous. But he made it through.

Once we hit the Wyoming border the scenery became desolate and bare. No animals, no trees just open prairie. I did decide early on that when they say something is 30 miles it feels like 300 because there is nothing there. There are no little towns to drive through nothing.

Our first stop was in Wind River Canyon (http://www.wyomingtourism.org/cms/d/Wind_River_Canyon_Scenic_Byway.php),
this was the one thing I remember from my last trip up there was this beautiful drive along a river with mountains towering above you. It was just as beautiful as I remember. Just before Wind River Canyon is a huge lake, Boysen Reservoir, with lots of boating and camping all around. But, I love the drive through Wind River Canyon. Once through the canyon you are in Thermopolis which is known for its Hot Springs and the dinosaurs that have been found in the area. All I remember from Thermop is staying in a Holiday Inn that was a safari themed hotel with lots of dead animals in the lobby. It was just freaky and wrong and therefore has ruined the city for me.

Thermop is about a million miles (or so it seemed) from Joshua, but I continued on. Cody was my next big town to come to. It is truly a western town and so adorable, I fell in love immediately. The people there are just so wonderful and nice, the vibration you get from the city is just so welcoming. But, I could not stay long Josh was only 30 miles away.

Joshua lives in Powell Wyoming which is home to some 5000 people. It's mainly known for the Northwest College and lots of farms. They grow barley for Anheuser-Busch which is currently being harvested, they also grow sugar beets, sweet corn and beans. Joshua works on a farm (god help me) and is extremely knowledgeable about farms and their products. He can see a field and tell you what is growing and whether is it being watered properly or not. Hell, I can't identify most produce in the store much less while it is still in the ground.

Joshua has a very cute little house that the dogs immediately fell in love with. Unfortunately this house does not have air conditioning. Yes, it may be cool outside but not inside, so after dinner, we immediately went back to Cody and hit Wal-mart and bought fans. That made it more bearable. Once back home, I was exhausted and ready for bed. I had a meeting in Cody at 11am the next day so we hit the hay.

My first day in Wyoming was turning out to be pretty good. I had not had one panic attack being outside of the city. But, then I realized that I was not away from the city I was simply in a smaller one than what I was use too.

Next up:
Day Three...Cody & Yellowstone National Park