Joshua Alexander Drake was born 21 years ago today. He came into this world on Friday, September 11, 1987 at 8:34 p.m. Joshua was born in Pasadena, Texas and he weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces and was 19 inches long.
I can't believe my baby is an official adult. Time flies when your having fun. Contrary to many peoples belief at the time Joshua was a planned baby by his father and I. I know we were young but I wanted to have my family early so that I could be done by the time I was 40. Even then I knew that I only wanted 1 child. Over the years I have thought about more children but I never had much desire to have any. When I had my miscarriage in 1994 it was devastating but I knew deep down I did not want another child. I always tell people it is because my mom use to say that your 2ND child is completely the opposite of your first. Well Joshua was the easiest baby on the planet, so if I had another one I was afraid it would be the spawn of Satan.
When Joshua was born he was welcomed by so many people it was a bit overwhelming. I had my parents there, Curtis' parents there, my grandparents were there, my sister Debra, my brothers, my mom had several friends there as well. I think they were having a party in the waiting room. Either way he never lacked attention on his birthday. Josh had a few issues while entering this world, first and foremost he had no desire to come out. I am pretty sure he would still be inutero if he could. The first comments we got on our new baby boy was "My God Look at Those Eyes" he had the biggest bluest eyes we had ever seen. He looked kind of like a little gremlin. Well at least to me he did. He had the scrawniest little legs. But he was perfect.
Over the years Joshua continued to be one of the easiest kids to raise, he did have some strange issues but all in all he was so much fun to be with. So much like mothers day here are some of my favorite memories of raising my little anal retentive Virgo. BTW, these are not really in order of age.
1. Joshua telling me after school one day “Mom, I saw the biggest CD ever at school today.” it was an album
2. Only wanting to wear dress socks because regular socks were bumpy in his shoes.
3. Telling me he will die if he does not get a soda right away
4. “No! No! I don’t like that” to anything I cooked, okay he did have plenty of reasons for saying this
5. Calling me “Mother” anytime he was mad or annoyed with me.
6. Taking my hand and telling me “We will discuss this at home” when I was late picking him up from daycare
7. Actually throwing the fake stones at Goliath in his school play because he did not like the little boy
8. Saying “I promise mom it was not me who drilled the line of holes in my bedroom wall”
9. Refusing to shop in the little boys department anymore even if the clothes in the boys department did not fit
10. Sacrificing his cousin Casey to a werewolf at a haunted house
11. Loving every minute of 12 days of Christmas no matter how old he was
12. Driving all over the state of Texas looking for Beanie Babies
13. Being Batman 3 Halloweens in a row
14. Begging to have his room decorated in 101 Dalmatians only to refuse to sleep in there because “The dogs are looking at me”
15. Going to the Egyptian exhibit at the Museum of Science and Josh begging for the jars they put the human organs in, then having him crawl in my bed because he could not sleep because he kept seeing the mummy on exhibit
16. Joshua arguing with the docent at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts when she stated that the red blood on a birds chest symbolized the blood Jesus shed for us. He wanted written proof of that.
17. Joshua telling me “Mother we did not go to chapel today and we did not say our prayers before lunch” on his first day of 2nd grade in public school
18. Only to say 1 year later in 3rd grade “You mean to tell me I am suppose to believe a book that was possibly written 2000 years ago. And they have no real proof it was ever written, who wrote it and if these people exist.”
19. Asking at 2 years old “Where do rainbows get their colors”
20. Mom I want to be a musician.
As with every mother and father out there, you know there are so many memorable moments in your kids life that it is impossible to get to them all but these are some that stand out in my mind.
I can't believe my baby is an official adult. Time flies when your having fun. Contrary to many peoples belief at the time Joshua was a planned baby by his father and I. I know we were young but I wanted to have my family early so that I could be done by the time I was 40. Even then I knew that I only wanted 1 child. Over the years I have thought about more children but I never had much desire to have any. When I had my miscarriage in 1994 it was devastating but I knew deep down I did not want another child. I always tell people it is because my mom use to say that your 2ND child is completely the opposite of your first. Well Joshua was the easiest baby on the planet, so if I had another one I was afraid it would be the spawn of Satan.
When Joshua was born he was welcomed by so many people it was a bit overwhelming. I had my parents there, Curtis' parents there, my grandparents were there, my sister Debra, my brothers, my mom had several friends there as well. I think they were having a party in the waiting room. Either way he never lacked attention on his birthday. Josh had a few issues while entering this world, first and foremost he had no desire to come out. I am pretty sure he would still be inutero if he could. The first comments we got on our new baby boy was "My God Look at Those Eyes" he had the biggest bluest eyes we had ever seen. He looked kind of like a little gremlin. Well at least to me he did. He had the scrawniest little legs. But he was perfect.
Over the years Joshua continued to be one of the easiest kids to raise, he did have some strange issues but all in all he was so much fun to be with. So much like mothers day here are some of my favorite memories of raising my little anal retentive Virgo. BTW, these are not really in order of age.
1. Joshua telling me after school one day “Mom, I saw the biggest CD ever at school today.” it was an album
2. Only wanting to wear dress socks because regular socks were bumpy in his shoes.
3. Telling me he will die if he does not get a soda right away
4. “No! No! I don’t like that” to anything I cooked, okay he did have plenty of reasons for saying this
5. Calling me “Mother” anytime he was mad or annoyed with me.
6. Taking my hand and telling me “We will discuss this at home” when I was late picking him up from daycare
7. Actually throwing the fake stones at Goliath in his school play because he did not like the little boy
8. Saying “I promise mom it was not me who drilled the line of holes in my bedroom wall”
9. Refusing to shop in the little boys department anymore even if the clothes in the boys department did not fit
10. Sacrificing his cousin Casey to a werewolf at a haunted house
11. Loving every minute of 12 days of Christmas no matter how old he was
12. Driving all over the state of Texas looking for Beanie Babies
13. Being Batman 3 Halloweens in a row
14. Begging to have his room decorated in 101 Dalmatians only to refuse to sleep in there because “The dogs are looking at me”
15. Going to the Egyptian exhibit at the Museum of Science and Josh begging for the jars they put the human organs in, then having him crawl in my bed because he could not sleep because he kept seeing the mummy on exhibit
16. Joshua arguing with the docent at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts when she stated that the red blood on a birds chest symbolized the blood Jesus shed for us. He wanted written proof of that.
17. Joshua telling me “Mother we did not go to chapel today and we did not say our prayers before lunch” on his first day of 2nd grade in public school
18. Only to say 1 year later in 3rd grade “You mean to tell me I am suppose to believe a book that was possibly written 2000 years ago. And they have no real proof it was ever written, who wrote it and if these people exist.”
19. Asking at 2 years old “Where do rainbows get their colors”
20. Mom I want to be a musician.
As with every mother and father out there, you know there are so many memorable moments in your kids life that it is impossible to get to them all but these are some that stand out in my mind.