I have been given the opportunity to witness something that most people do not get to see. On Monday evening as I was driving back to Albuquerque, I passed what I thought was a simple accident on the freeway. The following morning I found out that it was actually a police officer that was hit by a car and killed. To take it a step further he is the nephew of a co-worker and French's is handling the services of this police office. So I was feeling this tragedy from many angles.
Tuesday evening when I arrived at the mortuary I talked to his Aunt and Grandmother for awhile and offered what condolences I could. I also learned about a tradition I did not know about. The officers have an honor guard that stays with a fallen officer 24 hours a day until he or she is buried. The officer was a member of the Moriarity Police Department which is a very small town in a small county. So the other police, firemen and EMT's from around the state covered the honor guard for the smaller town.
Thursday evening I met the officers who were standing guard and learned a bit about them and their jobs. I received a phone call from the sheriff of Torrance County he wanted to come down and pin the officers badge on personally. When he arrived and I escorted him to the chapel where the officer laid in state I watched the procession the officers did. They march up the aisle to the casket and salute their fallen brother and then step to either side of the coffin. The sheriff pinned the badge on his officer and then stopped by to talk to me for a few minutes to say thank you.
Before I left I checked in with the officers to let them know I was locking up and there were there alone. I had to laugh when one of them gave me a look of complete horror. I assured him there was nothing in the funeral home that would hurt him. For once he was completely safe on the job. But, if the typewriter starts typing on its own simply tell them to stop. I laughed again when they called me "ma'am" I told them that was a first, I am the one usually saying "Yes Sir" this caused them to laugh. One said then I would be the only one most of the time they are called names I did not want to hear. I told them where I came from my daddy always taught me to be polite and respectful to the ones who will come running when I call 911.
I was surprised that these officers had never met the fallen officer nor the sheriff. These were complete strangers who were standing guard. Because of their job they were all family and they were there for each other no matter what. They considered it an honor to be part of the honor guard.
I have to say I was moved and very impressed with these guys and I was proud that I was able to be part of this service.
Tuesday evening when I arrived at the mortuary I talked to his Aunt and Grandmother for awhile and offered what condolences I could. I also learned about a tradition I did not know about. The officers have an honor guard that stays with a fallen officer 24 hours a day until he or she is buried. The officer was a member of the Moriarity Police Department which is a very small town in a small county. So the other police, firemen and EMT's from around the state covered the honor guard for the smaller town.
Thursday evening I met the officers who were standing guard and learned a bit about them and their jobs. I received a phone call from the sheriff of Torrance County he wanted to come down and pin the officers badge on personally. When he arrived and I escorted him to the chapel where the officer laid in state I watched the procession the officers did. They march up the aisle to the casket and salute their fallen brother and then step to either side of the coffin. The sheriff pinned the badge on his officer and then stopped by to talk to me for a few minutes to say thank you.
Before I left I checked in with the officers to let them know I was locking up and there were there alone. I had to laugh when one of them gave me a look of complete horror. I assured him there was nothing in the funeral home that would hurt him. For once he was completely safe on the job. But, if the typewriter starts typing on its own simply tell them to stop. I laughed again when they called me "ma'am" I told them that was a first, I am the one usually saying "Yes Sir" this caused them to laugh. One said then I would be the only one most of the time they are called names I did not want to hear. I told them where I came from my daddy always taught me to be polite and respectful to the ones who will come running when I call 911.
I was surprised that these officers had never met the fallen officer nor the sheriff. These were complete strangers who were standing guard. Because of their job they were all family and they were there for each other no matter what. They considered it an honor to be part of the honor guard.
I have to say I was moved and very impressed with these guys and I was proud that I was able to be part of this service.