I meditate a lot and I meditate because I like to. I like to stop for a few minutes and allow my mind to just be in the moment. Not thinking about the day, the night, or any problems that I may have. I started meditating when I was a youngster in my early 20's. As a young adult I would do what everyone did and turn on some nice soothing music or nature sounds; and them promptly fall asleep.
It took me a long time to learn how to stay awake while meditating with this music. Then the older I got I realized that I like soothing music, opera, classical, jazz, etc. when I am trying to rest or sleep. But when I want to do something more I need different music. So I tried meditating to Metallica my all time favorite group and I had some amazing insights. I started using different metal music to meditate, Ozzy, Def Leppard and Queensryche. I realized that this music is a completely different vibration for me, when I want to think and work on issues I listen to metal and drive. When I want to just rest I listen to Classical and Opera and drive.
People would make fun of me when they learned that I listened to Metallica to meditate but it did not bother me. I like being able to meditate and get something from it. For me meditating is not a way to relax it is a way to be. I can relax in a hot bubble bath if I want to relax.
So for those of you who meditate and feel like you are missing something, try different music. Soothing music is great and it has a place but good old fashion hard rock is good too. If you like country go for it, test different music and see what you get. Try music from different countries and nationalities you would be surprised how great music from the Latin world is. They have great rock and pop bands that we never hear in the US. Go out and explore the world of music for your meditating and see what you find. You may be surprised at the levels you reach during your meditation.