
Day of the Dead or Dia de los Muertos is celebrated on November 1st and 2nd of every year. The Catholic religion calls it All Saints Day; the metaphysical world considers the night of Halloween and the morning of Day of the Dead to be the time of year when the veil between our world and the other side is the thinnest. This allows the spirits easier access to coming back and visiting. What do I think? Well, as someone who lives in a house that always has ghostly activity this week has been a bit off, I have experienced unexplained crashes in the middle of the night, lights left on after I turned them off, noises I can’t identify, constant chattering…basically the usual.
But here in New Mexico and in the Hispanic community Day of the Dead is a big deal, it is a day and night set aside to remember those loved ones who have died. They go to the cemetery and set up elaborate displays with decorations, flowers and lots of food. They will place toys on the grave of lost children and Tequila on everyone else’s. Personally, they had me at cemetery and food. Whatever fabulous ancient Mayan thought of this idea should be canonized as a saint in my book.
Here in Albuquerque and Santa Fe you can find complete stores dedicated to Day of the Dead. They have little dioramas of various events with skeletons. My favorite is the funeral. But can I find it again to actually buy it…NO. But, I will keep looking. The always-popular skeleton bride and groom can be found most anywhere in New Mexico as can the Grateful Dead diorama. You can always find the sugar skulls as well; they are very elaborately decorated with candied flowers and chocolate.
So if you thought once Halloween was over there was nothing left to celebrate until Thanksgiving you were wrong. You have the rest of today and tomorrow to celebrate those who have crossed over, so head to the cemetery with a blanket and some food and have fun.