I spent Saturday evening all dressed up attending a formal banquet for the Hispano Chamber of Commerce with my close friend Harold. This is something new for me since I left Texas. I have started to turn into a bit of a home body. Not wanting to go out and socialize with other people. When I lived in Texas I would go to several functions a year, both formal and informal. Most of the time I took Joshua with me. His personal favorite was the yearly fundraiser by the Chamber of Commerce that took place at the racetrack. He was actually very good at picking winning horses. It was very unusual for me to be home every night of the week because I was always finding something to do to improve on mine and Joshua's cultural and people skills. Even if I did not go out I would hold several dinners a year with close friends. I loved to entertain as well as be entertained.

Once I moved out of Texas and had a husband things changed because I wanted to spend more time with him. Now that the husband is gone I am finding parts of my old self that I lost. One of those being the part that likes to be out and about with the business world and other contemporaries. It is a great way to get to know people and network.

Last nights events started with cocktails and mingling. Due to medication and severe side effects I was unable to have any alcohol but settled for sparkling water instead. Dinner was great. Since I am very picky eater I am always a bit nervous about the food that will be served at these types of functions. But it was wonderful with a perfectly prepared Filet Mignon, salad, snap peas and some sort of potato and wine bottles on the table. But again due to the medication I had water. But, I do not indulge in alcohol often and certainly not when I am driving.

I spent the dinner talking with Bob and Barbara the owners of French Mortuary, as well as other executives. Harold knew just about everyone at this function. Okay, maybe not everyone but almost everyone. Val Kilmer who is a long time New Mexico resident was in attendance and all I can say is he is no longer Top Gun gorgeous, but that's okay. He has some political aspirations and is making the rounds. He is very big in the New Mexico Film Industry or "Tamalewood" as it is referred to by the locals.

When dinner was over we attended a concert by Greg Rolie who was one of the founding members of Santana. He is the voice you hear on most of the old Santana songs. Originally Harold and I were not going to attend the concert but I was up for it so we went for a bit. The music was great but the room was small and the sound was bit overwhelming so we left after 3 or 4 songs and headed home. I had to get up and be at work this morning anyway.


All in all it was a great night and lots of fun. My next adventure is trying to get a handle on sports. I know so many people who love to attend the Lobo basketball games and the baseball games in the summer but I never go because I don't know anything about sports and never really tried. But, I promised Harold I would give it a go since he likes to attend the basketball games. Who knows maybe I will become a fan and a season ticket holder. Okay, that is not likely but always a possibility.