Shoe Day 2009 will go down in the books as a memorable day indeed. Full of drama, excitement and of course new shoes.
My day started out like any other day in my life, getting ready for work. Since Shoe Day is not an official holiday I was excepted at work. I stopped off at the bagel shop for some bagels to celebrate the day with my friends Harold and Kristian. I did snap at a mentally handicapped person but that had nothing to do with Shoe Day he was just annoying me. The day progressed as they all do and finally 5 o'clock came it was off to the shoe store.
I started out at my favorite one Shoes on a Shoestring and found several pairs of summer sandals that I really liked. The only problem was I can't buy a pair of shoes and then wait months to wear them. So I decided to head to the mall and see what they had to offer. I hit the mother load at the mall. One thing great about Shoe Day is that it is in February and they are starting to get their spring shoes in so all the winter shoes are on sale and by winter shoes I mean boots. I love boots almost as much as I love sandals. I found a great pair of black leather kid boots that will go great with my jeans and slacks and since they were on sale I bought a great blouse as well. It was a memorable occassion.
The one drawback was an incident with the saleman, he was full of the Valentine's Day cheer and really getting on my nerve. The conversation went something like this:
Salesman: "Are you having a great Valentine's Day"
Me: "Sure"
Salesman: "So what did you get from the man in your life"
Me: "Nothing"
Salesman: "He did not get you anything?"
Me: "Nope"
Salesman: "Oh he will when you get home?"
Me: "I doubt it since there is no one waiting for me at home"
Salesman: "What? No boyfriend?"
Me: "No, no boyfriend"
By this point I am getting annoyed and just want to pay and leave.
Salesman: "Oh I see, Your husband doesn't celebrate Valentine's Day?"
Me: "Oh I'm sure he is...with his new wife. But, I don't know I was not included in on his plans"
The salesman has a look of pure horror on his face at this comment.
Salesman: "Well thank you for shopping with us, have a good day."
I felt good as I left him staring at me. I finished up my Shoe Day by picking up my co-hort in crime, Phyllis and heading to Rio Rancho. I was taking in a mouse and a hamster. I got them, dropped Phyllis off at home, took the new critters inside and set them up in the sanctuary and then went and took a nice hot bath and then hit the bed.
All in all it was a pretty good day. I need to create more Shoe Days through out the year. I just have to replace holidays I don't celebrate.