Here it is once again Valentine's Day and I am still single. Wait while I sigh a huge sigh of relief. In all my years of being married do you know that Valentines Day was never a day that we celebrated. It was not a big deal, I personally did not care one way or the other and it seemed like a huge hassle to try and find something to do for the day. I do think that #3 and I went to dinner once for Valentines and we had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for a meal.

Valentines was always something I liked to do with Joshua but for me it was just another excuse to buy him presents and have fun. In school you always gave each other silly cards and had a party. As teens it was more of a big deal then when you became an adult. In the office there were always those people that got flowers and candy from their husbands, and all the other ladies would allow themselves to feel jealous for a few minutes because their husbands never thought enough to send flowers. I was always the opposite, I did not want flowers or candy. I really did not want anything. It seemed silly to spend 3 times a much for flowers that are going to die in a few days. Don't give me candy then bitch about my weight afterwards.

But as a single person people actually look at us with sympathy when this or any holiday rolls around. I have been asked "What are you going to do alone on Valentines?" The same things I do alone everyday. Feed the critters, cook for the dogs, clean out cages and work. Why would it be any different? Just because I don't have a man at my house eating my Oreo's at the moment does not mean I am sitting at home crying in my iced tea because it is February 14th and I am alone. Hell being alone at Christmas is worse that Valentine's Day. You have 2 months of those horrible "He went to Jared" commercials to live through.

But, I have started one tradition for myself on Valentine's Day. And this was not because I was sad I was single, it just sounded fun to me. On Valentine's Day I go to my favorite shoe store, either Shoes on a Shoestring or Dillards and buy myself a pair of shoes. This is a gift of love to myself. My own personal way of saying I Love You and You Mean the World To Me. And if you know me you know that I am a whore for a great pair of shoes.

So tomorrow while everyone is trying to figure out where to go for dinner, or at Wal-Mart sorting through the last of the flowery cards looking for one that is just perfect I am going to be shopping for shoes and loving every minute of it. I may even get the critters a little something special just because they are so cute.

So if you are in a relationship have a great day. If you are not go out and buy yourself a snazzy pair kicks and remember when all the hearts of chocolate are empty and the flowers are dead you will still have your gorgeous shoes to enjoy until you get tired of them or until the new Summer sandals come out.
It's All About the Shoes