Today is the first of 3 Friday the 13th's that we will celebrate in the year 2009. I am never exactly sure why it is considered to be bad luck. Friday is ruled by Venus the Goddess of love and for most people love is not a bad thing. For some of us it is just elusive. Friday is the last day of a typical work week. It is date night for 90% of the teenage population in America. Unless the date is the 13th. Then it is a bad day.

Earlier this week I was watching the medical channel (my addiction) and there was actually a doctor that was telling the camera that she does not perform any elective surgeries or deliveries on Friday the 13th. She did follow up with saying that if the patient went into labor on the 13th or it was an emergency she would do the necessary work. But only if it was a true emergency. WTF, this is a professional medical provider who is saying that I can't do anything on this day because it is bad luck. What does that say to that nervous first time mother who delivers on Friday the 13th? Your baby is now set up for a life of bad luck?

I set out to find out the story behind the whole Friday the 13th mystery. What is was, why it was and for the love of George will it ever go away. Here is what I found out.

According to everything I read or glanced at it looks like this superstitions was not written about before the 19th century. The earliest written documentation was in 1869 biography of Gioachino Rossini. It is believed that the superstition was passed down through word of mouth which does make sense for the time. But why would the 13th be a bad luck day. I know some Chinese consider 4 to be an unlucky number and if you add 1 and 3 you do get 4. According to wikipedia in numerology 12 is considered the number of completeness and 13 is consider irregular. There is mention of that it could have derived from the Last Supper and that having 13 people at a dinner table means 1 will die.

So basically from what I gathered there is no true reason for this superstition. It is just something to do and carry on. It does make for a great horror movie and day to make excuses for not wanting to work. But as for me I always seem to have good Friday the 13th's. I have no bad memories associated with the 13th, I was not married on the 13th with any of my ex's, no engagements on the 13th, no special fond memories on the 13th, so as far as I am concerned I like Friday the 13th and think we should make it a holiday.