It has been a couple of years now since The Secret was reveled to the general public. Most people who saw it were really taken by it. They were encouraged by the fact that they could actually control their own destinies. In some ways this is good and in some ways this is not so good.

First let us review what the basis of The Secret is; you attracted into your life what you visualize and ask for. Their theory is that if you want something you have to put out into the universe the desire to have this and by your visualizing and focusing your energy on it the Law of Attraction will bring it to you.

I personally have benefited from The Law of Attraction; I do not call it the secret because I have known about it for much longer than the 2 to 3 years the book has been out. Here is an example: In November of 2006 I was told my car would need another engine. Needless to say #3 and I were not happy, in a bout of frustration he asked me if he could just rely on me to take care of the car. He could no longer worry about it. I said “sure”. This was around noon, I went back to the office and logged onto the Carmax website. I knew that I was already financially strapped so I needed a car that was not expensive and easy on gas. I checked out the lowest priced car they had but it did not have air conditioning and since I had already gone through 3 summers with no A/C I was not going to miss out on the chance to have it again. So I went to the next one down, it was a price I could afford, it was a nice little car and it would work perfect. I filled out the interest form and the salesman called me a few minutes later. Within the hour I had filled out all the paperwork and was going over that night to finish up. My issue now was coming up with a down payment. So on my way to pick up my best gal Phyllis I simply told the universe that I wanted to get enough money for my current car so that I would not have to borrow money for a down payment. Now keep in mind my car was a 1998 Malibu that needed a new engine and had over 200,000 miles on it. So I was not asking for a lot just enough for the down payment. We arrived at the dealership and both Phyllis and I really liked the car; which I had already named Marvin because he looks like a Marvin. They took my old car and the salesman returned and said they would give me $900 for the car. I had my down payment and all it took was asking for it. This is not the only thing I have manifested over the years, but this was one of the biggest and most noticeable things.

Just as we can manifest good things into our lives we can also manifest bad things into our lives. During a recent conversation with my guides I was informed that someone I knew was manifesting their own situation. They had determined that their life was a disaster and everything that was happening in it was being done to them by other people. This manifested itself into reality by their constant verbalization of it over and over and over again, sometimes several times in one conversation.

Many of us have heard the term “professional victim.” This means that a person is forever considering themselves the victim of some wrong deed. I knew a girl like this back in Texas, we will call her Mary. Conversations with these types of people get really annoying after awhile. A basic conversation started out with Mary complaining about another problem in her life, for her it was always someone in her family that either wronged her, abused her or simply did not consider her when they made a decision.

I recall one incident, which was probably the last time I spoke with her. She had a horse that had come down with some illness that was considered highly contagious to other horse and livestock. Therefore, the vet was required to report it to the Animal Welfare department. Once they found out about it they wanted to put the horse down to prevent it from spreading whatever it had. Seems fairly simply, maybe not so fair to the horse but it was what it was. To this Mary this was a travesty of justice; the Animal Control people were disrespecting her because they wanted to control how she treated her horse. The vet was now her enemy because he followed the law and reported the illness. They all did this because there was some underlying issue they had about her. I never knew what the issue was because it only existed in her mind. By the time she finished the conversation she was now enemies with the entire neighborhood because she felt they probably called Animal Control as well to report her horse being sick. It was crazy but every conversation was like this.

I personally feel that “professional victims” manifest problems in their lives. They are not happy without the chaos, drama and turmoil. They constantly complain about the world around them, their problems, and their situation. They end the conversations with “I am one of the most caring, wonderful people you will ever meet. So why is this happening to me?” Well, because you are asking for it that’s why. You continually tell everyone what is wrong with your life and by doing this the universe is giving you exactly what you are talking about. Remember the universe is black and white. You say, “I am always broke” the universe responds by making sure you are always broke. You say “I want a way to pay my bills and have some left over” the universe sends you an opportunity to make extra money.

I am not saying that every time you are in a bad mood or your life sucks because it is a full moon you are going to manifest a disaster, but if you live your life going from one disaster to another that is what you are going to manifest. So if you are going to live by The Secret keep in mind that you will get what you ask for so be sure you know what you are asking for. Don’t be afraid to ask for something big just be sure it is reasonable. Asking for a yacht and living in the desert is just silly. What are you going to do when the yacht shows up and you have no money to take it to the ocean because you are still focusing on being broke. So instead of a yacht, maybe you could focus on something that is more reasonable for your lifestyle. Everyone of us wants to live the lifestyle of the rich and famous but not all of us are able to handle that lifestyle.