I was listening to John Tesh on the radio this afternoon and he had a quick mention of how love songs can damage a relationship because they set us up for unrealistic expectations. So I got to thinking about this and I have to agree. When a woman hears a song on the radio she not only hears it she relates to it, she remembers that song for the of rest of her life and will incorporate it into important events in her life such as her wedding or funeral in some cases. But, when a man hears a song he just hears the song. I have never heard a man say anything about hearing a song that must have been written for him.
I ran a quick search for love song lyrics and here is what I have come up with
1. Everything I do, I do for you by Bryan Adams: Stop it, why are you doing everything for them. They are not appreciating that you do everything for them. In fact they just come to expect you to do it all. So STOP IT.
2. How Am I Suppose to Live Without You by Michael Bolton: The lyrics read “How am I supposed to carry on When all that I've been livin' for is gone” Oh where to start, let’s start by saying you will live just fine actually. And if all you have been living for was them, that is not a relationship that is something in the form of stalking and is illegal in all 50 states and many other countries.
3. I Want You To Need Me by Celine Dion: The lyrics read “I want to be the face you see when you close your eyes/I want to be the touch you need every single night/I want to be your fantasy/And be your reality/And everything between” Again, when did love become about stalking. If a person said this to me without a musical score going I would be getting a restraining order against them. Why would you want to be someone’s reality? Reality sucks most of the time, the fantasy part I could understand as long as you are the one in control in the fantasy. Anyway, for the record there is not much by Ms. Dion that I like.
4. All I’ve Ever Wanted by Mariah Carey: Yes only dogs can hear her sing but the lyrics to this song read “If you were my own/To caress and hold/I would shower you with love/And drown within your soul/Because I live and breathe for you/And I really need to know.” Remember that old cartoon with the big goofy guy holding the little baby chicken, he would rub it and pat it’s head and say “I’m going to love him and pet him and squeeze him”? that is what this song reminds me of. Again we are living for someone else and now apparently breathing for them as well.
5. Into the Night by Benny Mardones: Of all the songs I have ever heard this has to be the most twisted one that every woman thinks is so romantic. It starts off with “She’s just sixteen years old/leave her alone they say” Good advice since she is underage but does he heed the advice of friends apparently not according to the following lyrics “Separated by fools/Who don’t know what love is yet/But I want you to know.” Who are the fools? His friends who are telling him to leave her alone or her friends at school who are still innocents? So what now, he proclaims that if he could fly he would pick her up and carry her into the night (I think this would be considered kidnapping) to show her a love like she’s never known, ever known.” Again, she is 16 she won’t know what love is for a long time and think some guy coming along professing it to her will not show her what love is, maybe what molestation is but not love.
So as you can see love songs are not really about love they are more about obsession and stalking. I am sure there are some love songs out there that are not so demented and twisted but there would be no fun in poking at those. Here are some that I think should be revamped to be the love songs of the single people.
1. One is the Loneliest Number: Yes one can be lonely, but it can also be very invigorating.
2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: Yes, we do and I plan on doing that everyday for the next 40 years or so.
3. She Bop: this goes back to one being the loneliest number, we have to have some fun somewhere along the way.
4. 2 out of 3 Ain’t Bad: I want you, I need you, but there ain’t no way I’m ever going to love you. This is my new theme song it goes with my motto
I ran a quick search for love song lyrics and here is what I have come up with
1. Everything I do, I do for you by Bryan Adams: Stop it, why are you doing everything for them. They are not appreciating that you do everything for them. In fact they just come to expect you to do it all. So STOP IT.
2. How Am I Suppose to Live Without You by Michael Bolton: The lyrics read “How am I supposed to carry on When all that I've been livin' for is gone” Oh where to start, let’s start by saying you will live just fine actually. And if all you have been living for was them, that is not a relationship that is something in the form of stalking and is illegal in all 50 states and many other countries.
3. I Want You To Need Me by Celine Dion: The lyrics read “I want to be the face you see when you close your eyes/I want to be the touch you need every single night/I want to be your fantasy/And be your reality/And everything between” Again, when did love become about stalking. If a person said this to me without a musical score going I would be getting a restraining order against them. Why would you want to be someone’s reality? Reality sucks most of the time, the fantasy part I could understand as long as you are the one in control in the fantasy. Anyway, for the record there is not much by Ms. Dion that I like.
4. All I’ve Ever Wanted by Mariah Carey: Yes only dogs can hear her sing but the lyrics to this song read “If you were my own/To caress and hold/I would shower you with love/And drown within your soul/Because I live and breathe for you/And I really need to know.” Remember that old cartoon with the big goofy guy holding the little baby chicken, he would rub it and pat it’s head and say “I’m going to love him and pet him and squeeze him”? that is what this song reminds me of. Again we are living for someone else and now apparently breathing for them as well.
5. Into the Night by Benny Mardones: Of all the songs I have ever heard this has to be the most twisted one that every woman thinks is so romantic. It starts off with “She’s just sixteen years old/leave her alone they say” Good advice since she is underage but does he heed the advice of friends apparently not according to the following lyrics “Separated by fools/Who don’t know what love is yet/But I want you to know.” Who are the fools? His friends who are telling him to leave her alone or her friends at school who are still innocents? So what now, he proclaims that if he could fly he would pick her up and carry her into the night (I think this would be considered kidnapping) to show her a love like she’s never known, ever known.” Again, she is 16 she won’t know what love is for a long time and think some guy coming along professing it to her will not show her what love is, maybe what molestation is but not love.
So as you can see love songs are not really about love they are more about obsession and stalking. I am sure there are some love songs out there that are not so demented and twisted but there would be no fun in poking at those. Here are some that I think should be revamped to be the love songs of the single people.
1. One is the Loneliest Number: Yes one can be lonely, but it can also be very invigorating.
2. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: Yes, we do and I plan on doing that everyday for the next 40 years or so.
3. She Bop: this goes back to one being the loneliest number, we have to have some fun somewhere along the way.
4. 2 out of 3 Ain’t Bad: I want you, I need you, but there ain’t no way I’m ever going to love you. This is my new theme song it goes with my motto
I’ll live in sin and never marry again
5. Independent Women: This whole song is about women being independent and not taking it from men. Love it.
Now when you turn on the radio and hear an old sappy love song listen to the lyrics before you decide that this song is all about you and your life. Because if you really think the first 5 songs describe you and how you feel we need to get you into therapy quickly.