That title sure sounds ominous doesn't it? But it is not really meant to be. I made a comment yesterday to #3 that it is not good being sentimental. He just laughed it off as he does most anything I say to him. In order for him to take anything I say seriously he would have to stop and actually listen to what I have to say. In our 7 years of being together that never happened. I use to laugh and tell him he only had 10 years to learn how to listen to me. Boy, if only I knew how true those words were.

Women are very sentimental, we always have been. We save the weirdest things to look back on down the road. I know everyone reading this who is a mother has one of a few things that belonged to their baby, a lock of hair, their first baby tooth, copies of their footprints, and some who are odder than me may even have their umbilical cord that fell off. Why do we save these things? So that when our babies are 20 years old and off at college we can look through their baby book and remember the days that have gone by.

Now here is a question for you and be honest. How many of you look back on those days and are glad they are gone? None of us do, we look back on those days and wish we were still there. Staying up all hours of the night with a crying baby, walking them, bouncing them, begging them to please go to sleep; but 20 years later those are the good memories we have of them. As we get older we start saving more things, we save every card our children give us, every art project they do in school (grades Pre-K through 12th); we save every invitation they received to parties; basically we save EVERYTHING.

Now here is another question for you and again honestly only. How many fathers are out there that have saved these things? Not many, I will admit there are a few fathers out there that are sentimental but they are few and far between.

As the kids grow up the boys wander off and don't think about saving anything (except baseball cards, pokemon cards, cards of every shape and size) the girls on the other hand see what mom did and they start creating their own sentimental items. A teenage girl will start saving all her mementos from her school days, from girl scouts, and pretty much anything she does between the ages of 12 and 18. Every note any boy wrote her be it a good one or a bad one. They will save flowers, dried up and dead but full of memories of young love. How do I know this? I know this because I did this and just recently went through and trash all that crap.

What brought up this subject for me was, several years ago when Disney put out the movie "Lilo and Stitch" I fell in love with it (and just a note, the Spanish version is just as hysterical as the English version) I think I loved it so much because I truly feel that Stitch is my alter ego in the alien universe. But anyway, based on my love for the movie #3 and I started collecting the Stitch character. Every time we went to the mall and back in the good days that was usually once a week. We would go to the Disney store and see what they had. Now I was a good shopper and waited for them to go on sale or clearance before I got them. Over time friends would bring them back to me from their trips to the mall or Disneyland and Disneyworld. It was a fun thing to collect. We had a special "Stitch Shelf" that was used to hold the various things we had gotten.


When we separated I packed them up in boxes and put them in the storage shed and that is where they have lived for the past 10 months. While Joshua was here last week we were clearing out some of the many things he has collected and I remembered that I wanted to get rid of the Stitches but #3 wanted to keep them. So he has offered to take them off my hands. I wanted to look through them because I knew there were some I may want, but as I was getting ready to open the first box, I thought to myself, why do I want this? What memory does it have for me? The two of us collecting them together, having fun looking for new ones, the fun of adding them to the shelf already crowded with too many. And then it hit me, I did not want them at all. I had enough crap hanging on in my life that I have carried from one place to another and I was tired of it.

The more I thought about it the more I realized I have been "anti-sentimental" for several weeks now. Every since I started nesting at my house I have been getting rid of things that I kept because it was a good time for me and #3. I will never get rid of my son's things, nor things that belonged to my family. But why was I holding onto things from a bad relationship? Yes, at the time I created the sentimental idea attached to whatever the item was because it was a fun and exciting time. But, I now know that all those events were false because #3 has said over and over that he never was attracted to me and has always considered our relationship a bad decision. So that event was fake and a lie. But here I was holding onto photos, postcards, Do Not Disturb signs (we collected those from every hotel we stayed at) and who knew what else. I had taken an object and created a memory from it and I planned on carry it the rest of my life but now that part of my life is not only over but has been brought out into the light that it was an illusion all together. So what do you do with all those things? Well, I trashed them. Every single one of them, I kept anything that had Joshua attached to it, such as photos of him and I. Everything else is gone. I went onto my computer and trashed every photo that I have stored on there of anything having to do with my past experiences that are now over. That includes 6 years of Mesa photos, 7 years of marriage photos, etc.

I feel good about it. Not once did I second guess myself about getting rid of these things. If I liked me in the photo and there were a few; I cropped everything else out of the photo. I did save a few for Joshua in case he wants them, but I put them on a disk and they are out of my view so I do not worry about it. I am in the process of getting rid of other things as well; I need the things in my life to be all about me. I am looking for a new bed. I currently have a king bed that we bought together and shared. It is a bed I slept in with a person I thought loved me and was staying with me the rest of my life. Well now it has to go. Since I am not rich I am willing to hold out on this until I manifest what I need. But, the past is the past and it has no place in my future. I can't live in the now and be happy if I am surrounding myself with false happiness.

So on that note, I now need photos. Seriously, if you have photos of you and your family and would like to share them with me to decorate my walls I would be very happy. You can email them to me or give me a copy and I will add them to my wall of friends and family. I will create my own memories based on what I know is real and not what I hope is real.


But no matter how anti sentimental I get I still think Stitch Rules!