I have taken one step closer to my vow of independence. Yes leaving my husband was a big step and over the past several months I have done several smaller steps. But I noticed today when I was in the coffee shop and this really cute guy started talking to me. That he ever so casually looked at my hand. It hit me after he left that he was looking to see if I had a wedding ring on. Well first off kudos to him for at least looking and second damn me for having a ring on that finger.

As I said a few posts back, I have replaced my wedding ring with a ring that I bought for myself and that I absolutely love. (My next ring is going to be a diamond solitaire just because in all my marriages I have never been given on and I want one.) And since I have had a ring on that finger for most of my adult life I just put another on to replace my wedding ring. Well today, I took that ring off and moved it over. I thought about it and in a funny silly way it is my telling the world that I belong to no one. I belong only to myself. I really had a flash and thought back to an episode of Sex and the City when Carrie got tired of having to go to bridal and baby showers and buy expensive gifts for these women. So as a way of declaring her independence she threw herself a bridal shower and she was marrying herself. So all those women that she bought gifts for now had to return the gesture. What did she register for? SHOES Not just any shoes but Manolo Blahnik's the favorite shoe of shoe loving woman (and some men I know) everywhere.

So the next time I go to the coffee shop and a cute guy looks at my hand, guess what he will see. Nothing but a great ring on my middle finger and a sign that says "I am unattached and available." Then I want him to read the sign that I am having made up that has my new motto on it: "I will live in sin; But I won't marry again."

I just heard my mother start crying. Well she will get over it sooner or later.