As many of you are aware I started my new job on Monday, February 18, 2008. It is with a company here in Albuquerque called Research and Polling Inc. (http://www.rpinc.com/). I originally interviewed with them on February 7, 2008, I met with the 3 Market Analysist that they have working for them and they explained what my job would be. They were very nice and it sounded like a job I could do and it was also something totally different than anything I have ever done in the past.
Basically, RPI is a market research company. They do everything from policitcal polling to mock jury's. They have a staff of pollers who call members of the community to ask questions about how you feel about this or that. They also organize and run focus groups on various subjects and items. Once they have finished with the polling that information is then give to that data entry department that enters everything into the computer. Then I get it and take all these papers and turn them into a presentable report. The one I worked on today was 243 pages so it takes days for me to finish one project. However, I have several going at one time and I jump between all of them and then some.
Today I was told we were having a "Happy Hour" Meeting at 2:30. Sweet, alcohol in the middle of the afternoon. I was informed that unfortunately there would be no alcohol. The meeting is held each time they are getting ready to launch a new research poll. The staff is given a copy of the polling questions, we are to go over the questions and discuss if we need to change the question, the format, the order the questions or ask and if the questions are easy enough to answer. Today's was on adoption, it was really interesting, I got to ask some good questions and I got to see the process. It was very interesting.
My official title is Word Processing Specialist, I have my own office (which I love), it is a very casual office environment. They wear jeans everyday, I had to politely explain to them that I only own 1 pair of jeans so I would not be wearing them everyday. I also explained that when I had to work at the funeral home I would be dressed up so don't panic and think I was job hunting. The staff is very nice there are about 15 full time employees and one really big dog that work there. Everyone has a quirky sense of humor and put up with me being extremely sick on first week there. I got in on Monday with the cold from hell, by noon I was barely alive by 5pm I was toast. Tuesday was a bit better but still sniffing the vicks and my nose looks like rudolph. I am hoping this job will last for quite awhile since I was reminded that I do not like to job hunt.
So I am headed back to work tomorrow, still sick but better. I am not working this weekend so hopefully I can recover and get completely well. Everyone send lots of good vibes to my nose so that it will stop acting up.