Last week I had this epiphany (which means a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.) I decided that in order to get a new job I would have to leave town. Not move out of town mind you, just leave. As I was driving to yet another interview I thought to myself. What am I doing wrong? I am being positive and upbeat, I am being honest and sincere, I am being fun and witty so why the hell am I still unemployed? Then it hit, because I am trying to hard. I had turned looking for a job into a job. The universe did not understand my quest. Why did I need a job, I was going out everyday and doing what I do best, talking to people, meeting people and staying out of the house just like you do when you are employed. The universe also does not understand the concept of money and how it makes our world go around. So I told Phyllis on Friday, that I was going to Houston so I could get a job. Then I explained that as soon as I left town and stopped "working" at finding a job the offers would start rolling in.
I left Albuquerque after I dropped Phyl off at work on Monday and headed east. I packed the kids and very odd hamster in the car and started out. As usual Kali immediately dived under her security layer of blankets and pillows, Tau promptly climbed on his pillow and cried and Franklin the hamster did what he always does; nothing.
It took until 12 noon for the phone to start ringing. The first call was from Research and Polling, Inc. I had interviewed there last week and really enjoyed the people. The job is for a Word Processing Specialist or a fancy title for a typist. What they did was Research and Poll for various topics and causes then they got the information into a huge pile of numbers and figures. I would then take those numbers and figures and turn them into something readable. They wanted me to come in for a 2nd interview. I politely told them that I was out of town for the week and that I would be more than happy to do a phone interview or wait until next week. After a return call I was granted the phone interview at noon the following day. The next call came from Presbyterian Hospital regarding a secretary position, then a call from CNM College, then a call from Account Temps. I graciously told them all that I was out of town for the week. To say they were shocked is maybe an overstatement but they all seemed confused on why I would be out of town when I did not have a job.
We drove to Kerrville and stayed the night. I can tell you it was a bit warm in Texas and I liked it. We left Kerrville and headed on to Houston. It had turned rainy overnight and it rained off and on the rest of the drive. As I got closer to Houston my phone continued to ring. Since it was raining I let the calls go to voice mail. The calls were from various temp agencies calling with offers or openings, another place I had interviewed with that wanted a second interview. As noon approached it was raining more and the traffic getting into Houston was a nightmare, but nothing I could not handle. I took the phone call when it came in and spoke with the President of RPI regarding the position. He told me that his staff was very impressed by my skills and enjoyed the interview with me. They felt that I would fit in with the staff wonderfully. I have to say at this point, I am driving in the rain, maneuvering through stop and go traffic and having a job interview on my cell phone and all the while I was calm, cool and professional. Even when a truck tried to run over me changing lanes. Not once did I swear at them or blare my horn. Cause I am good.
After about 10 minutes I got the offer, to come to work for RPI making good money and getting excellent benefits. Of course I accepted the offer, because I am not stupid and I needed the job. I immediately stopped mentally for a second to thank the guides for watching out for me and taking care of me an getting me what I wanted. I then finished the drive in to my parent’s house happy and relaxed. The phone calls continued through the week, I was happy to announce to them "I appreciate you thinking of me but I have already accepted an offer." It was good to be on top again.
So I start my new job on Monday at 8am and I am excited. I will keep everyone update on what is happening and how it is going. If anyone needs help with a resume or job site let me know, I have plenty of resources that I would be happy to pass on.