So I am a day late in wishing everyone a Happy 4th of July, but the sentiment is the same.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Summer holiday as much as I did. For once I was off on a national holiday. I have to admit that I was a bit perplexed as to what I should do. As you probably know I work most of the holidays since I don't have family here in Albuquerque so I usually just keep most holiday's low key. But this year I decided that I wanted to have fun so I had a BBQ. I invited some friends over and we ate until we could not move.

The party started out with Phyllis and I shopping for food on Thursday. We got steaks, chicken, turkey sausage, potatoes, corn on the cob, baked beans, fresh bread, cheesecake and watermelon. There was a ton of food for just 4 people and 2 dogs.

We ate and sat around in the air conditioning watching television and just enjoying each others company. The party ended around 7 since Harold and I have to work this weekend. So after everyone left I munched on leftovers and watch Lifetimes Falala 4th, where they were playing Christmas specials on the 4th. Get it Christmas in July.

Anyway, I watched "The Christmas Shoes" if you have not seen this show, it is based on a book (which I have never read) and a song (which I have heard). It is about a mother who is dying and her son who is having a difficult time with it. The other parallel story is a lawyer who is working so much to help others that he is forgetting about his own family. Both families are slightly intermingled throughout the show, the dying mother is friends with the lawyers wife, the son meets the lawyers mother who gives him one of her son's baseball caps, the son's father is an auto mechanic who works on the lawyers car. As the movie progresses it is about half way through that the Christmas shoes come into the movie. The son overhears his mom and the lawyers wife talking about when they meet. The mom was talking about how every year on their anniversary her and her husband go dancing since that is how they met. She tells her that every year she puts on her dancing shoes and feels special for just a few hours. Once the son overhears this he runs to town to find the shoes for his mom and he does. He then spends the rest of the show trying to raise the $19.99 for the shoes. As with all lifetime dramas if you don't want to cry don't watch this show, cause it is a tear jerker.

By this time in the evening it sounded like I lived in Bagdad, with firecrackers and other very loud exploding things going off all around me. My neighbors called ask if it was bothering me and to be honest other than the dogs barking at the louder ones I did not really care. But, they did and they were trying to call the police. But our war zone was quiet by 10 o'clock so everything was okay.

Now as I look back on my little holiday, I have to say I was very happy through it all. I enjoyed the great company that came over and the food and conversation that went right along with it. I hope everyone else had a great holiday as well.