Somewhere between January 1, 2000 and June 1, 2007 I lost myself. Not technically as in I could not locate my body; I'm nuts but not that nuts. I mean spiritually and emotionally. The part of me that makes me who I am took a much needed vacation. In fact she took a 7 year vacation. I am now just realizing this. As that spiritual part of me returns so do the little things that make me happy. Those little things that I put away and forgot about.

It started a few weeks ago on one of Saturdays off. No one wanted to come outside and play with me so I decided to just wander around town and find something to do. Out of no where I decided that I wanted to shop for bowls. You know the kind you use in the kitchen for mixing and serving? The ones your mom and grandma had when you were little. For me, these bowls held love and comfort. They were always there in my mom's kitchen and in my grandma's kitchen. Every time I went into their house I knew the bowls were there. They were colorful and pretty and strangely for me they symbolized stability. So I went to find bowls and I spent the better part of an afternoon wandering around an old junk store on 4th street happy as a loon.

I went from booth to booth looking, touching, feeling and investigating everything they had. Some of it was just plain junk, some things I had no idea what they were, and then some of the things I would have loved to have in my house. But my mission was bowls. I found crystal bowls, jadeite bowls, Pyrex bowls and bowls of various colors and shapes. I found one huge white ceramic bowl that I really liked and one that is just weird bowl that reminded me of the 70's. I got my two bowls and left the store happy and content.

As the days moved on and I started to remember the things that bring joy into my life. The things that matter to no one but me. I realized I had put all that away. I don't know why I did it. Maybe because I knew that #3 would have no interest in my fun of shopping for all the crap from the 50's. Maybe I jut did not want to have to justify why I wanted a bright pink platter to anyone but myself. Whatever the reasons was it was time for that part of me to re-emerge from her nap.

So for the past several weeks, I stay on the look for bowls, platters, furniture, anything that makes me happy when I see it. Anything that makes me stop and go "Oh I love that". If I like it and can afford it I get it for myself and for my own happiness. I am loving the peace that I have when I stop in my kitchen and see my huge bowl, my 70's bowl, my peacock blue Gumbo bowl, my pink and turquoise platters these make me happy. And I hope to find more happiness shopping for bowls in every town I come to.